Wellness Wednesday: Black Bean Hemp Protein Brownies


I don't usually eat sweets, nor do I crave them. I did, however, see an interesting recipe for a Black Bean Brownie on Julie Daniluk's blog and I had to try it. I can't follow recipes to save my life (my rebellious streak) and I ended up tweaking the recipe a little bit. I wanted a protein heavy brownie that is low in sugar so I swapped the hemp seeds for hemp protein. I used a handful of dates and stevia to sweeten the brownies and added some coconut flour for flavour and texture. I decided to play around with the recipe and added red beets into the mix which worked beautifully as they added extra moisture, sweetness and a ton of nutrients, including nitric oxide, a compound touted to help improve stamina and athletic performance. In my next batch I plan on adding greens, particularly Barleans Chocolate Silk Greens which tastes more like a treat than a supplement.

Ingredients:
3 cans black beans
5 eggs
10 dates
4 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp organic vanilla extract
3 tbsp coconut flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp stevia powder
1 tsp baking powder
Manitoba Harvest hemp protein in chocolate
1 cup grated beets (optional)








Pre-heat oven at 350°F.
Blend the dates with 1/2 cup water until syrupy.
Blend eggs, coconut oil, vanilla, stevia and date syrup together and slowly add beans to the mixture until you get a paste-like mixture.
Transfer everything to a bowl and incorporate the cocoa powder, hemp protein, baking powder and coconut flower mixing until you get a thick batter. Add more coconut flower or eggs to adjust thickness of batter if needed.
Pour into a baking tray coated with coconut oil.
Bake for 35-40 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Plain Black Bean Hemp Protein Brownies




Black Bean Hemp Protein Beet Brownies


Perfect toppings: peanut butter and raspberries. Yum!





Voila! High protein, low card, low sugar, gluten free, healthy, delicious browines. I am amazed this thing actually turned out so delicious given that I absolutely suck at baking. They are so easy to whip up and so healthy! These brownies are high in protein, omega 3s and fiber and are a great substitute for protein bars, which I personally try to avoid given that most are loaded with crap and are nothing but glorified candy bars.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,